Sewing LED’s to fabric was one of the most creative things that we have done yet. Whether you sewed them to your backpack, your clothes, or just a piece of felt, anything that people decided to make turned out to be cool. I wanted to create a sort of button the I could press by sewing two patches of conductive thread close to each other where I could put my finger on them and complete the circuit. While I believe that this idea should have worked, my finger seemed to be too resistant to the current and the lights didn’t turn on. I was saddened by this, but sewing was fun nonetheless.

Makey Makey’s

This past week, some friends and I made a set of instruments using Makey Makey boards. The first instrument we made was a keyboard. To do this we taped metal knives to a lego base and attached wires from the Makey Makey to each knife. This was William’s instrument, as he is an excellent pianist.


The next instrument we made was a drum set. We started by making a kick drum using legos, tape, and a cardboard box. We then made a snare and a symbol, both out of legos. John played this instrument as he plays the drums in a band.


Next we were to make my instrument, and as I am not musically talented in any way, we decided to make a guitar. We made the guitar out of cardboard with metal wires strung from end to end.

We put all of the instruments together and, using garage band, we made a song with our instruments. Here it is:


Building a Rube Goldberg Machine with WeDo’s was a ton of fun. The objective was for each subsequent machine to trigger a distance sensor on the next machine, which would start a program to spin a motor which would trigger the next distance sensor…… My group decided to use two motors to launch a toy car. The first motor spun a pendulum that got the car going down a track where it then went under a spinning wheel that propelled it even faster. Once the car cleared the track and the spinning wheel, it knocked over lego windows which acted like dominoes. The domino doors then knocked a lego person down a hole at the bottom of which was the next machine’s sensor.

Getting all the machines to work together was a bit of a struggle, and took a few tries, but eventually we got a successful run.